AKA delicious! I have been making this recipe ever since I found it on a wedding photog blog I used to read when I was planning my wedding! I look forward to making it every summer. It is so refreshing and it makes me feel so healthy when I eat it.
It’s pretty easy too! You just need some colorful veggies, a loaf of focaccia bread, olive oil, dijon mustard, a screw top jar, and red wine vinegar. Oh and fresh basil!
I used a red & yellow bell pepper, cherry tomatoes (would work fine with normal ones too!), red onion, and cucumber.
Yum…fresh basil makes my whole kitchen smell SO good!
Mix up your marinade now. Add all the ingredients in a screw top jar and get to shaking! Shake until combined.
Chop up those veggies next. Then mix ’em all together in a big bowl and pour the marinade over them!
Stir until the veggies are coated then cover. Refrigerate for at least a few hours–up to overnight.
Just a bit before you are ready to serve the salad, cut your focaccia into cubes. Toss in a rimmed baking pan with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until toasted.
Before serving, add in the homemade croutons (admittedly the best part!) and some basil leaves (chopped if you want, or add them in whole!) Enjoy!!
What a beauty of a salad, wouldn’t you say?? The complete recipe is below. Feel free to get creative and sub out or in any ingredients!
Marinated Veggie & Bread Salad
- Handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, cut in thin wedges (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium yellow pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, crushed
- 8 oz. ciabatta or focaccia bread, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup small fresh basil leaves
1. In large serving bowl combine veggies. In screw-top jar combine 1/4 cup olive oil, the red wine vinegar, mustard, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Cover; shake well to combine. Add to veggie mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight (up to 24 hours).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a shallow baking pan, toss bread cubes with 1 Tbsp. olive oil to coat. Bake about 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring once. Remove and cool on pan. Add bread cubes and basil to tomato mixture; toss to coat. Top with shaved white cheddar cheese. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Have a great weekend everyone! Our week is cut short as we travel again this weekend. Off to Wichita, KS for a wedding!